Jurdu Terms and Conditions
Please read the following Terms carefully before using the Site and/or any online features, services and/or programs offered by Jurdu (collectively, the “Services”). By accessing the Services, you agree to the following Terms. Please review these Terms regularly as they may change from time to time. If you do not agree to any portion of these Terms, you should not access or otherwise use the Services.
We will try to notify you of material revisions; for example, via a service notification posted to the Site or an email to the email address associated with your account. You are encouraged to review these Terms frequently (the date of the most recent revision to these Terms appear at the end of these Terms).
Section 1. CONVENIENCE AND INFORMATION ONLY; CHILDREN UNDER 13
- Jurdu.com is a digital community for lawyers. We help lawyers live better. Any text, materials, documents, images, graphics, logos, design, audio, video and any other information provided from or on, uploaded to and/or downloaded from the Site is content owned by or licensed to us or our respective third-party authors, developers or vendors (“Content”). The information contained on the Site is not legal advice, health advice, or financial advice. It is information only, and it is not guaranteed to be correct, complete or up-to-date. Jurdu is not a law firm.
- By providing access to the Services, we do not warrant or represent that: (a) the Content is accurate, complete, up-to-date or current; (b) we have any obligation to update any Content; (c) the Content is free from technical inaccuracies or typographical errors; (d) the Content does not infringe on the intellectual property rights of any third party; (e) your access to the Services will be free from interruptions, errors, computer viruses or other harmful components; and/or (f) any information obtained in response to questions asked through, or postings made on, the Services is accurate or complete.
- You affirm that you are either more than 18 years of age, or an emancipated minor, or possess legal parental or guardian consent, and are fully able and competent to enter into the terms, conditions, obligations, affirmations, representations, and warranties set forth in these Terms, and to abide by and comply with these Terms. In any case, you affirm that you are over the age of 13, as THE WEB SITE IS NOT INTENDED FOR CHILDREN UNDER 13.
Section 2. YOUR USE OF THE SITE.
- Generally. You may view, copy or print pages from the Services solely for personal, non-commercial purposes. You may not otherwise use, modify, copy, print, display, reproduce, distribute or publish any information from the Services without our express, prior, written consent. At any time, we may, without further notice, make changes to the Services.
- User Generated Content. We welcome the submission of comments, information, material or feedback (“User Generated Content”) through the Services. Contributions to, access to and use of the User Generated Content is at your own risk and subject to the below terms and all other terms and conditions of these Terms. By submitting User Generated Content to the Services, you grant us a worldwide, royalty-free, sublicensable, perpetual, irrevocable right to publish, copy, display, create derivative works of, and distribute the User Generated Content.You are legally and ethically responsible for any User Generated Content that you post or transmit. For example, if you wish to post a copyrighted work as User Generated Content, you are responsible for first obtaining the copyright holder’s permission. You MAY NOT upload, post, email, transmit, or otherwise make available any content that:
- infringes any patent, copyright, trademark, trade secret, right of publicity, or other proprietary rights belonging to us or any person or entity; or
- is defamatory, libelous, indecent, obscene, pornographic, sexually explicit, invasive of another’s privacy, promotes violence, or endorses or advocates illegal activity; or
- is bigoted, hateful, racially offensive, or which attacks or demeans a group or an individual based on race or ethnic origin, religion, disability, gender, age, veteran status, and/or sexual orientation/gender identity; or
- discloses any sensitive information about another person, including that person’s email address, postal address, phone number, credit card information, or any similar information.
- Prohibited Conduct. You MAY NOT:
- Use the Services for unlawful purposes;
- Harass, “stalk”, threaten, or defraud other users or our staff or vendors or advertisers;
- Misrepresent the source, identity, or content of information transmitted via the Services;
- Access or use the Services to collect market research for a competing business;
- Impersonate any person or entity or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity;
- Take any action that would undermine any aspect of the Services;
- Transmit to the Services any virus or other program that may damage or impair the use of our or our users’ hardware, software or equipment;
- Take any action that imposes or may impose (in our sole discretion) an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on our technical infrastructure;
- Reproduce, duplicate, copy, sell, re-sell or exploit any information, materials or content on the Services;
- Take any action that would inhibit any other users’ enjoyment of the Services.
- Community Guidelines. Jurdu provides a community of your peers, a place where lawyers can gather to engage, learn, share and, above all, find inspiration and guidance on what to do, what actions they can take, and what changes they can make to meaningfully improve their lives, both in the workplace and outside of it. By keeping these Community Guidelines in mind, you can help ensure that the community works as intended for you and the other members.
- You are encouraged to use Jurdu for professional and informational purposes to engage with like-minded lawyers across practice groups and experience levels, both in your region and nationwide, and to leverage knowledge sharing. Actively participating in the community will improve your experience.
- If you participate in chats or messaging, or if you comment on articles, please stay on topic and relevant. Don’t hijack a thread. Start a new thread if you want to discuss a new topic.
- Do not post commercial messages advertising products or services, job openings, or education programs. No spam ever.
- Jurdu encourages criticism, debate, and differences of opinion (we are lawyers after all!) but personal attacks, abuse, threats, or trolling are unacceptable. We love that you are passionate, but expect you to be respectful and professional.
- Your use of any information on the Site, including information or advice from other community members, is at your own risk. Likewise, your interaction with other members is at your own risk.
- Don’t share accounts, and don’t impersonate anyone else.
- Keep confidentiality and ethics rules in mind if discussing your work.
- We reserve the right to monitor any and all information transmitted or received through the Site. In our sole discretion and without further notice to you, we may, but are not obligated to, review, delete or prohibit the transmission or receipt of any information which we deem inappropriate or that we determine violates these Community Guidelines. We have the sole discretion to enforce the Community Guidelines.We may terminate your right to access secured portions of the Services at any time, without notice, for conduct that we believe violates these Terms and/or is harmful to other users of the Services or to us.
Section 3. BECOMING A MEMBER.
- USER ACCOUNT AND PASSWORD. Protecting your data is important to us. We use reasonable precautions to protect the privacy of your UserID, password and User Account information. You, however, are ultimately responsible for protecting your UserID, password and User Account information from disclosure to third parties. You are required to take reasonable precautions to safeguard your UserID and password. You are solely responsible for any activity that occurs with respect to your User Account and UserID. While we provide certain encryption technologies and use other reasonable precautions to protect your confidential information and provide suitable security, we do not and cannot guarantee or warrant that information transmitted through the Internet is secure, or that such transmissions are free from delay, error, interception or interruption. We reserve the right, but do not assume responsibility, to monitor or review any activity on our services. You will be held responsible for any consequences, legal or otherwise, that arise from your use of the Services.
- where disclosure is necessary for completing payments, or to resolve a problem related to a payment;
- to persons authorized by law in the course of their official duties;
- to comply with a government agency or court order, such as a lawful subpoena;
- to our owners, employees, auditors, service providers, attorneys in the course of their duties; or
- if you give us written permission (including by email);
- if you have supplied your login information to another party; or
- for any other reason specified in these Terms or any other agreement we have with you.
- ACCURATE INFORMATION. In creating and using your User Account on the Services, you agree that you are not resident in a member state of the European Union and further agree to: (i) provide true, accurate, current and complete information about yourself on any registration form required on the Services; and (ii) maintain and promptly update the information to keep it true, accurate, current and complete. If you provide any information that is untrue, inaccurate, not current or incomplete, or if we have reasonable grounds to suspect that such information is untrue, inaccurate, not current or incomplete, we have the right to suspend or terminate your User Account and refuse any and all current or future use of the Services.
Section 4. PAYMENT TERMS FOR MEMBERSHIPS
- The Membership is a recurring Membership. Your Membership begins with a free trial period which will automatically renew unless you cancel. You may cancel at any time by contacting us at email@example.com or by clicking the “Cancellation” button on your membership account page, however, if you cancel in the middle of a billing cycle, your Membership will continue until the end of the cycle and you will not receive any refund.
- Membership Fee. Your Membership, and your access to the benefits of Membership, is subject to your timely payment of the Membership Fee. You will provide us with a credit card number, and we will charge your credit card for the Membership Fee on the first day after your trial period ends. Your Membership will automatically renew. We reserve the right to increase the Membership Fee and will notify Members no less than thirty (30) days prior to the date of the change of the Membership Fee. All charges are non-refundable. You agree to allow us to charge your credit card in advance for your Membership.
- Cancellation, Termination by You. Your Membership will automatically renew, unless you cancel. You may cancel your Membership at any time by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by clicking the “Cancellation” button on your membership account page. We do not give pro-rated refunds for unused time if you cancel your Membership prior to the end of a billing cycle. If we do not receive payment of the Membership Fee, in full, within three (3) days of processing your credit card, we may, without notice, to suspend or terminate your Membership. In addition, we may suspend or terminate your Membership without refund and refuse any and all current or future use of your Membership if you a) materially breach this Agreement, b) create an unsafe space, harass, or otherwise disrespect other Members or our owners, officers, employees and/or independent contractors, c) solicit Members with job requests, business pitches, or marketing materials d) violate the terms set forth in Section 2 of these Terms, or e) if you impair the participation of other Members. The determination of whether any of the conditions a) through e) in the previous sentence have occurred is made by us, in our sole and absolute discretion.
- Termination or Cancellation by Us. We may, in our sole discretion, terminate your Membership or use of the Services without notice if you materially breach this Agreement. A material breach of this Agreement includes, but is not limited to, your non-payment of fees and your failure to abide by these Terms and Conditions. If we suspend or cancel your account, your right to use the Services will stop immediately. You acknowledge and agree that we do not give pro-rated refunds for unused time if we cancel or terminate your account.
Section 5. DISCLAIMERS.
- NO WARRANTIES; INDEMNIFICATION. YOU EXPRESSLY AGREE THAT YOUR USE OF THE SERVICES IS AT YOUR SOLE RISK. THE WEB SITE, THE SERVICES AND THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” FOR YOUR USE, WITHOUT WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, UNLESS SUCH WARRANTIES ARE LEGALLY INCAPABLE OF EXCLUSION. JURDU PROVIDES THE WEB SITE AND THE SERVICES ON A COMMERCIALLY REASONABLE BASIS AND JURDU MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES THAT THE WEB SITE, THE SERVICES, THE CONTENT OR ANY SERVICES OFFERED IN CONNECTION WITH THE SERVICES ARE OR SHALL REMAIN UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR-FREE, THE CONTENT SHALL BE NON-INFRINGING ON ANY THIRD PARTY’S INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS, THAT DEFECTS SHALL BE CORRECTED, THAT THE WEB PAGES ON THE WEB SITE, THE SERVICES, ANY ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATION OR THE SERVERS USED IN CONNECTION WITH THE SERVICES ARE OR SHALL REMAIN FREE FROM ANY VIRUSES, WORMS, OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS, OR THAT ANY PERSON USING THE SERVICES WILL BE THE PERSON THAT HE OR SHE REPRESENTS HIMSELF OR HERSELF TO BE. WE DO NOT GUARANTEE THAT YOU WILL BE ABLE TO ACCESS OR USE THE WEB SITE AND/OR THE SERVICES AT TIMES OR LOCATIONS OF YOUR CHOOSING, OR THAT WE WILL HAVE ADEQUATE CAPACITY FOR THE WEB SITE AND/OR THE SERVICES AS A WHOLE OR IN ANY SPECIFIC GEOGRAPHIC AREA.
- You agree to defend, indemnify and hold us and our affiliates, subsidiaries, owners, directors, officers, employees, independent contractors, and agents harmless from and against any and all claims, demands, suits, proceedings, liabilities, judgments, losses, damages, expenses and costs (including without limitation reasonable attorneys’ fees) assessed or incurred by us, directly or indirectly, with respect to or arising out of: (i) your failure to comply with these Terms; (ii) your breach of your obligations under these Terms; (iii) your use of the rights granted hereunder, including without limitation any claims made by any third parties; and/or (iv) your violation of any third party right, including without limitation any copyright, property, or privacy right.
Section 6. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY. OUR ENTIRE LIABILITY AND YOUR EXCLUSIVE REMEDY WITH RESPECT TO THE USE OF THE WEB SITE, THE SERVICES AND/OR ANY SERVICE PROVIDED IN CONNECTION WITH THE SERVICES SHALL BE THE CANCELLATION OF YOUR USER ACCOUNT. IN NO EVENT WILL WE BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, PUNITIVE OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING FROM YOUR USE OF THE SERVICES AND/OR ANY SERVICE PROVIDED IN CONNECTION WITH THE SERVICES, OR FOR ANY OTHER CLAIM RELATED IN ANY WAY TO YOUR USE OF THE SERVICES AND/OR ANY SERVICE PROVIDED IN CONNECTION WITH THE SERVICES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, (A) ERRORS, MISTAKES, OR INACCURACIES OF CONTENT, (B) PERSONAL INJURY OR PROPERTY DAMAGE, OF ANY NATURE WHATSOEVER, RESULTING FROM YOUR ACCESS TO AND USE OF THE SERVICES AND/OR ANY SERVICE PROVIDED IN CONNECTION WITH THE SERVICES, (C) ANY UNAUTHORIZED ACCESS TO OR USE OF OUR COMPUTER SERVERS AND/OR ANY AND ALL PERSONAL INFORMATION AND/OR FINANCIAL INFORMATION STORED THEREIN, (D) ANY INTERRUPTION OR CESSATION OF TRANSMISSION TO OR FROM THE SERVICES AND/OR ANY SERVICE PROVIDED IN CONNECTION WITH THE SERVICES, AND/OR (E) ANY VIRUSES, WORMS, TIME BOMBS, DROP DEAD DEVICES, TROJAN HORSES OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS THAT MAY BE TRANSMITTED TO OR THROUGH THE SERVICES AND/OR ANY SERVICE PROVIDED IN CONNECTION WITH THE SERVICES BY ANY THIRD PARTY OR FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE OF ANY KIND. BECAUSE SOME STATES OR JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF LIABILITY FOR CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES, IN SUCH STATES OR JURISDICTIONS OUR LIABILITY WILL BE LIMITED TO THE GREATEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
Section 8. THIRD-PARTY CONTENT.
- We may provide hyperlinks to other web sites maintained by third parties, or we may provide third party content on the Services by framing or other methods. THE LINKS TO THIRD-PARTY WEB SITES ARE PROVIDED FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE AND INFORMATION ONLY. THE CONTENT ON ANY LINKED WEB SITE IS NOT UNDER OUR CONTROL AND WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE CONTENT OF LINKED WEB SITES, INCLUDING ANY FURTHER LINKS CONTAINED IN A THIRD-PARTY WEB SITE. IF YOU DECIDE TO ACCESS ANY OF THE THIRD-PARTY WEB SITES LINKED TO THE SERVICES, YOU DO SO ENTIRELY AT YOUR OWN RISK.
- If a third-party links to the Services, it is not necessarily an indication of an endorsement, authorization, sponsorship, affiliation, joint venture or partnership by or with Jurdu. In most cases, we are not even aware that a third party has linked to the Services. A web site that links to the Services: (i) may link to, but not replicate, our Content; (ii) may not create a browser, border environment or frame our Content; (iii) may not imply that we are endorsing it or its products; (iv) may not misrepresent its relationship with us; (v) may not present false or misleading information about our products or services; and (vi) should not include content that could be construed as distasteful, offensive or controversial, and should contain only Content that is appropriate for all age groups.
Section 9. COPYRIGHT AND TRADEMARKS. The trademarks, service marks and logos used and displayed on the Services are ours, or our subsidiaries’ or affiliates’, registered and unregistered trademarks. We are the copyright owner or authorized licensee of all text and all graphics contained on the Services. All trademarks and service marks that may be referred to on the Services are our property. Nothing on the Services should be construed as granting, by implication, estoppel or otherwise, any license or right to use any of our trademarks or service marks without our prior written permission. We aggressively enforce our intellectual property rights. The name “Jurdu” and as well any of our other trademarks, service marks or copyrighted materials, may not be used in any way, including in any advertising, hyperlink, publicity, social profiles, or promotional materials of any kind, whether relating to the Services or otherwise, without our prior written permission, except that a third party web site that desires to link to the Services may use the name “Jurdu” in or as part of that URL link.
We respect the intellectual property of others, and we ask our users to do the same. If you believe that your work has been copied in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, or your intellectual property rights have been otherwise violated, please send an email to email@example.com and provide us with the following information:
(i) A physical or electronic signature of the person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed;
(ii) Identification of the copyrighted work claimed to have been infringed, or if multiple copyrighted works at a single online site are covered by a single notification, a representative list of such works at that site;
(iii) Identification of the material that is claimed to be infringing or to be the subject of infringing activity and that is to be removed or access to which is to be disabled, and information reasonably sufficient to permit the service provider to locate the material;
(iv) Information reasonably sufficient to permit the service provider to contact the complaining party, such as an address, telephone number, and if available, an electronic mail address at which the complaining party may be contacted;
(v) A statement that the complaining party has a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law;
(vi) A statement that the information in the notification is accurate, and under penalty of perjury, that the complaining party is authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.
Section 10. LOCAL LAWS. We make no representation that content or materials in the Services are appropriate or available for use in jurisdictions outside the United States. Access to the Services from jurisdictions where such access is illegal is prohibited. If you choose to access the Services from other jurisdictions, you do so on your own initiative and are responsible for compliance with applicable local laws. We are not responsible for any violation of law. You may not use or export the Content or materials in the Services in violation of U.S. export laws and regulations. You agree that these Terms and the Services shall be interpreted and governed in accordance with federal law and, to the extent not preempted by United States federal law, with the laws of the state of New York. The Services and the Services shall be deemed a passive website and service that does not give rise to personal jurisdiction over Jurdu, either specific or general, in jurisdictions other than the states covered by the preceding sentence. You agree and hereby submit to the exclusive personal jurisdiction of the state and federal courts located in New York. You further agree to comply with all applicable laws regarding the transmission of technical data exported from the United States and the country in which you reside (if different from the United States).
Section 11. TRANSFERS AND ASSIGNMENTS. We may, at any time and in our sole discretion, assign these Terms, in whole or in part, or delegate any of our rights and responsibilities under these Terms to any third party or entity.
If you have additional questions or comments of any kind, or if you see anything on the Web Site that you think is inappropriate, please let us know by email firstname.lastname@example.org or by sending your comments to:
875 Pacific Street
Brooklyn, NY 11238
EFFECTIVE AS OF: February 1, 2019
LAST UPDATED: February 1, 2019
WHAT PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE INFORMATION DO WE OBTAIN FROM YOU? WHEN DO WE OBTAIN SUCH INFORMATION?
If, upon visiting our Site, your use is limited to browsing our informational content, we will not require that you provide us with any personally identifiable information. However, we may request personal information from you at other times. For example:
- If you register for a Membership, or purchase a product or service through our Services, we may ask that you provide us with certain personal information, including your name, credit card number, expiration date, e-mail address, mailing address and telephone number.
- If you post to our discussion forums, we will ask that you provide us with your name, e-mail address and password. We may also ask for other information that is not personally identifiable information, such as your area of practice or the type of employer you work for.
- If you report a problem, we will ask that you provide your name, e-mail address, membership number, address, and phone number. Should you contact us for any reason other than to report a problem, we may also keep a record and/or copy of your correspondence with us.
- If you have questions or concerns about the personal information we process relating to you, we may ask for personal information to confirm your identity or to locate your data.
HOW DO WE PROTECT THE SECURITY AND ACCURACY OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
To protect the security and accuracy of your personal information, we have implemented procedures to maintain accurate, current and complete information as well as to protect your personal information against loss, misuse or alteration when it is under our control.
HOW DO WE USE YOUR INFORMATION?
Our primary use of your information is to administer, maintain and improve your experience on our Services generally as well as provide you with customized, personalization services and interactive communications.
- If you opt-in to communications from us, we may from time to time send you e-mails regarding industry news, our Services, and special promotions.
- We use your financial information (e.g., your credit card number) only to verify your credit and to bill you for memberships or products purchased through our Services. We also use your contact information as necessary to send you information about the products or the Membership that you have purchased on our Services.
- We use your IP address to help diagnose problems with our server and to administer the services offered on our Services. We also use your IP address to help identify you and to gather broad demographic information that we may share with our business partners, but only in the aggregate without any of your personally identifiable information.
- We may research the demographics, interests and behavior of our customers based on the information provided to us during membership registration, during sweepstakes, contests and promotions, from our server log files, from cookies and from surveys. Our research may be compiled and analyzed on an aggregate basis. We may share this aggregate data with business partners, but only in the aggregate, without any of your personally identifiable information.
- We may use personal information to confirm your identity or to locate your data in order to answer your questions or comply with your requests about the use of your personal information.
CAN YOU “OPT-OUT” OF RECEIVING COMMUNICATIONS FROM US?
If you change your mind and decide that you no longer want to receive promotional e-mails, you may opt-out at any time by simply clicking UNSUBSCRIBE in the footer of the email or by sending an e-mail request to email@example.com. Similarly, if you are not receiving our promotional e-mails and wish to receive them, you may opt-in at any time by simply sending an e-mail request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
PRIVACY POLICIES OF OUR PARTNERS
DO WE SELL OR RENT YOUR PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE INFORMATION?
No, we do not sell or rent your personally identifiable information to anyone.
WITH WHOM DO WE SHARE INFORMATION?
We generally will not disclose any of your personally identifiable information except when we have your permission to do so or under some special circumstances described below.
- As noted previously, we may from time to time partner with other companies to offer co-branded services. Any information that you provide in connection with the co-branded services will become the joint property of us and our business partners. We may also disclose other personal information about you to our business partners, but only if we have obtained your permission to make the disclosure before data collection or before transferring the data.
- We may, from time to time, offer you the opportunity to receive materials or special offers from third parties. If you want to receive this information, we may (but only with your permission) share your name and e-mail address with them.
- Under confidentiality agreements, we may match user information with third party data. We also may disclose aggregate demographic and/or user information and statistics in order to describe our customer base to prospective partners and other third parties, and for other lawful purposes.
- We may disclose your personally identifiable information without your prior permission in special cases. For example, we may have reason to believe that disclosing the information is necessary to identify, contact or bring legal action against someone who may be violating the Terms and Conditions, or may be causing intentional or unintentional injury or interference to our rights or property or any third party, including other customers. Also, we may disclose or access your personally identifiable information when we believe in good faith that law or regulation requires disclosure.
HOW CAN YOU UPDATE, CORRECT OR DELETE YOUR PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE INFORMATION?
You may access, update, or delete your personally identifiable information and your password at any time by sending an e-mail request to email@example.com.
DO YOU HAVE CHOICES ABOUT COOKIES?
Yes, you have several choices with respect to cookies. You can modify your browser preferences to accept all cookies, to notify you when a cookie is set, or to reject all cookies. However, our Services uses cookie-based authentication. Accordingly, if you choose to reject all cookies, you may not be able to log onto our Services and/or use our Services.
WHAT ELSE SHOULD YOU KNOW ABOUT YOUR ONLINE PRIVACY?
California Privacy Rights
California Civil Code Section § 1798.83 permits users of our Site who are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
HOW TO CONTACT US
If you have any questions or comments about this Privacy Statement or the practices of our Services, please feel free to e-mail us at email@example.com or visit our contact page.